Tuesday, December 17, 2013

MOTELX - Reviews

Hello dears!
I know I am a little bit late about this post, but it's been hard to find time this month to blog =/
So this was my first experience at Motelx (Lisbon International Horror Film Festival) and everything went well. From all my friends I am the only one who truly loves horror films, so it is something hard to share with them, but being there with a lot of others horror fanatics, I felt at home and not alone.
A great thing was a 50% discount on the tickets if you were YORN (mobile operator service) which I am so the tickets for the films were only 1,75€!!!!
Unfortunately I could only attend 3 films, I wanted to attend the double session with The Conjuring and V/H/S/2 and the Closing Session with You're Next but they were both sold out!



 So the films I saw were:

-Cheap Thrills
-Byzantium
-Maniac

So here's a pic of the entrance at afternoon.


A Bloody Mary shot... ok, it was fucking disgusting -.- I don't like tomato juice at all!


And my souvenirs from the Festival, the 3 tickets from the films, the programming book, a bookmarker from The Exorcist and a postcard from Yorn.



And now a little bit about the films:



Cheap Thrills is an american film directed by E. L. Katz from 2013. I don't know him and it was his first film as a director.
The film only have 4 main characters so I think you can imagine what kind of story came out from there. One couple and 2 friends met in a bar and the night... will be long enough to happen a numerous of awkward situations. And this, this is not going to end the way you expected! I am one of those creepy people who laughs at horror/thriller films and here it was not an exception. This film made me laugh so badly although it is one of those films who make you think about the human being behavior. I liked the film because it brought some unexpected situations. Negative aspect: I still wanted more blood!
So thumbs up for this one =)






***********************************************




Byzantium is a 2012 film from the director Neil Jordan, most known for Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles.
After the Twilight Saga that I have nothing against, I just feel Twilight like a vampy fairy-tale for teenagers, nothing to take serious and cute to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon, but like I was saying... after all that mainstream stories about vampires, was time to bring the old vampire stories and feelings to the cinema again. And no one better that Neil Jordan to give us some taste of a twisted vampire story. Mixing the contemporary present and an old past, a common structure to tell the vampires stories. Although the film is based on LOVE, I don't find it a romantic film whatsoever, probably is more a realistic love and not so idealistic like we see in other vampires films.
I really liked the film, brought back the vampires for life again. I am not going to tell the story, even make a synopsis is a little bit difficult, all I can say is like you see in the poster, we have two beautiful and very different women trying to escape to their fate and new way to become a vampire. Negative aspect: Sometimes the story can get a little slow :c 
Don't miss it!












********************************************



I love the second poster of the film, love the design, colours for me much more related with the story itself.
So the last but not the least, Maniac (2012) a remake from the 1980 film which I did not see yet. Directed by Franck Khalfoun and the screenplay by Alexandre Ajax and Grégory Levasseur. I am a fan of these two writers most known for their work in Haute Tension (2003), The Hills Have Eyes (2006) and Mirrors (2008).
Although I am not a big fan of Elijah Wood, never was, never liked him... I have to say that his creepy face and look was perfect here. From the beginning of the film you know what it is all about, you know who he is, what he does... this is not a film with a big secret, trying to hide the serial killer and making you wondering who is he. No, you know it from the start, you are going to enjoy the killings, the chasing... can a serial killer love? Create a relationship with another? You are going to find out what is going on in his head.
Negative aspect: I don't think that is a big thing to point out.









**************************

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so awesome! I'm going to look for a horror festival in my home country!


    x Dawn
    www.wickedlypleasant.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I think you should if you like it! =) It is pretty awesome, the bloody mary shots were delivered by zombie nurses, unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of it!

      Delete